An older blog I had. I'm now at www.fatalinterview.blogspot.com

Friday, January 20, 2006

We 3 Things of Orient Are

First Thing
All of you Church fans, you need to read Brad Burkley’s blog entitled “Dumfux and Dads”.
http://www.versavice.blogspot.com/
Brad knows how to write, and I think he makes a very valid point.


Second Thing
Songs that make you cry…

Well, not every time, but in the right circumstances, these songs get to me:
“Serenade to Music” – Ralph Vaughan Williams
“Speak to Me Someone” – Gene
“Where are They Now?” – Gene
“Better Days” – The Jayhawks
“Your Wildest Dreams” (and the video) – The Moody Blues

I’m sure there are others, but these are the ones I can think of off of the top of my head. “Better Days” hit me last night. I’ve sort of been having a rough time lately…I used to email Amanda M. and say, “I’ve been listening to Gene tonight,” and she knew I was having a bad day. There is no need for anyone to write lonely songs anymore; Gene has already done them perfectly.


Third Thing
(apologies, I took this, now slightly altered, from an email I wrote to someone today)

I practiced my acoustic performance for over an hour today…fun! A few observations from that session:

I must say, I think "welcome back to wonderland" is my signature song.

I need to work up acoustic versions of the songs on my UNFOLDING CD. If I am going to go out into the community and perform and promote this CD, I need to let the audience hear the CD with my performance. I know I have often been to a show and had a song stuck in my head afterwards…and I wanted to get the CD so I could hear the song again. That's how it works, right!??!!?

I was thinking as well...for my Tony solo CD to follow up this "friends/believe" CD, I really need to write it acoustically and make them performance songs first. I can record them electrically with all of the bells and whistles I love (“puccipop”), but I know from experience that my recorded material is often strongest when the song is written beforehand. And hopefully the songs will already be strong from months of writing, practicing and performing.

To be really honest with you, and maybe this is just because I need a big break from recording for my “friends”…I am so sick of recording music! Did you know I've recorded about 60 instrumental songs for this "friends" project so far?!?!?!?!! And I still have a few songs left to do. It seems like everything I’m writing these days is something I should keep for myself. I guess the pendulum is swinging back.

Well, I've been thinking too about some of my problems. I want instant gratification. I want happiness now. I am often so depressed, unhappy, spiritually void, that I fall prey to these easy, quick fixes, but it only makes it worse. Unhappy and need a spiritual fix? Get a pizza!

Fuck...

Well, what's the one thing that has always made my spirit soar? Music. And recording is fun, but it is not interactive. With the recording software, I might as well be doing work, it's so tedious sometimes. There is not as much of a spiritual/artistic release from it. But what has every culture done? They've performed and communicated through music. LIVE music. SPIRITUAL music. Of course I miss being in a band. But when I get into playing acoustically, when I truly enter that world, that temporary bubble created by the sound of a song, that is when my spirit comes alive. It is a natural high, and I don't have many highs right now in my life. So this is my diet plan, my health plan, my religion. Unhappy? Hungry? Don't feed your face, feed your soul, young Tony, pick up your damn guitar and sing a song!!!!

I had such a smile on my face singing my songs today. There is much to be said about creation and bringing a song to life. I've been birthing songs for years now, and then I lock them away in a dark room. It's time to let my flowers blow in the breeze. I don't want to have to panic and practice for hours on end because I know I'm going to see someone socially, and maybe I'll have to play a song in that situation. I want performing to be a natural party of my every day. I want playing a song to be as natural to me as a smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home