An older blog I had. I'm now at www.fatalinterview.blogspot.com

Thursday, October 12, 2006

of ashes and poems

Yesterday afternoon, I and the rest of the football coaches went out to the stadium field and spread some of my dad's ashes in both end zones and at midfield. It was cold and windy, the first snowfall of the year, and it all felt very appropriate. Tonight I ran the scoreboard for the 9th grade football game, and we won 21-8. Tomorrow night is a big game against one of our cross-town rivals. There should be thousands of people there (around 5000, I'd guess), so it'll really be an event. Or star running back was profiled in tonight's newspaper...it's just my favorite time of year.

In Poetry news, I think I hit upon the theme of the BIG POEM I want to write as the cornerstone to this year's poetry book. I imagine it might be the title piece. I'm considering having a artwork contest for it (at DeviantArt.com), so stay tuned for that. Of course, I can't give the theme away! Not yet. But I'm pleased with the amount and quality of what I've written this year. I always speak of my music as a learning process, and I've been doing that for 25+ years. I've only been writing poetry, seriously, for about 3 years, so I'm noticing much more of a learning curve at this point. It's bullshit to just throw words on paper and call it art. I get such a thrill when I make a good commentary on some aspect of the human condition and it resonates. Funny, I don't sell hardly any of my poetry, but I get just as many comments about it as I do my music. I just got this one yesterday, and wow, I was really flattered!

Sonnets suit you! I have not read anything so beautiful in this form since I last read William Blake, Percy Shelley, or Shakespeare!Fucking fantastic!

And I'm looking forward to working on a new group of poems/lyrics with a special friend...

Cheers, y'all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home